Heritage Improvements Grant
Heritage Improvement Grants are given to building owners to assist in the cost of repainting certain buildings in Napier. To qualify, buildings must be:
- Either in the Art Deco Quarter.
- Or those commercial, industrial or community purpose buildings outside the CBD which are significant examples of the Art Deco era style.
- Buildings listed with Heritage New Zealand and buildings listed under the District Plan.
- Grants do not apply to residential dwellings.
The Heritage Improvement Grant is split into two accounts.
The first provides a grant for the cost of paint. Grants will usually be paid at a rate of $40 - $50 per linear metre per floor and apply only to walls facing the street.
The second provides a grant for the cost of scaffolding, and is available to those building owners who are also eligible for a grant for the cost of paint. The grant will provide a payment of 50% of the total cost of scaffolding for the repainting job (does not cover costs associated with other maintenance or building work).
Both of the above grants are available until such time that the accounts are exhausted. Grants will be paid upon satisfactory completion of the project.
What's Special about the CBD?
Since Napier's Art Deco architecture was "discovered" in the early 1980's, the city has become world famous for its unique style. Articles have appeared in magazines and newspapers all over the world, international tourists come especially to see it and Art Deco has become Napier's flagship tourist attraction.
It's important that Art Deco is preserved, enhanced and promoted, and Art Deco improvement Grants are given to assist this process. As a building owner or developer, you can take advantage of the grants, while ensuring that your building is in harmony with the over all look of the CBD - a look that draws favorable comment from visitors from all over the world.
What are the criteria?
The criteria is:
- The colour scheme must have been approved by the Art Deco Trust, or the Art Deco Trust must have prepared the colour scheme.
- The proposal must meet the intent of the Napier City Council's Art Deco Design Guide for renovation and restoration where appropriate.
- The grant can be made only for outside repainting and refurbishment at intervals of not less than five years.
- The Council must be satisfied that the proposal (colour schemes, design, materials etc) will enhance the character of the location.
- The proposal must follow the guidelines for signage set out in the Art Deco Design Guide and the redecoration must be consistent from the roof line to ground level. Buildings with signs that are inappropriate or which obscure significant features are unlikely to be awarded a grant.
- The owner must be prepared to publicly acknowledge Council's support.Payment will be made at the completion of the project, in accordance with the conditions.
- The amount of the Grant will be at the Council's discretion and will usually be given as a lump sum.
- A commitment must be undertaken to maintain the exterior for at least 5 years after a grant payment has been received.
Art Deco Quarter
The Art Deco Quarter essentially covers the inner city shopping area and includes Tennyson Street, Emerson Street, Market Street, Dalton Street, Dickens Street, Browning Street and parts of Hastings Street and the Marine Parade.
Why are grants given?
The objects of the grant scheme are:
- To recognise the contribution that building owners have made to the improvement of the Heritage District.
- Promote the preservation and restoration of existing Art Deco buildings and other buildings considered by Council to be worthy of enhancement.
- To enhance the city's tourist potential by improving the street scene and by encouraging the retention and restoration of features of Art Deco character.
How do I obtain a grant?
Written requests for grants should be made to the Napier City Council Planning Department, Private Bag 6010, Napier. If you require advice, contact the Senior Planner (Resource Consents) at the Council.
The Planning Department will refer you to the Art Deco Trust for their approval of your colour scheme. The Art Deco Trust can also provide advice in formulating a suitable colour scheme.
Once the job has been completed, please send a copy of your invoice/receipts (separated into paint and scaffolding costs) to the Senior planner (Resource Consents) at the Council.
The Art Deco Design Guide
The Napier City Council's Art Deco Design Guide is an informative guide to the refurbishment and restoration of buildings in the Art Deco style, with additional information about the other styles of the 1920s and 1930s. The guide, which is illustrated in colour, deals with alterations to existing buildings, form and scale, exterior and interior details, fittings, landscape design, colours, services and signage.
The Design Guide is available from the Planning Department and free copies are provided for owners of buildings in the Art Deco Heritage District. It is also available from the Art Deco Bookshop.