Seniors in Napier
Like other provincial cities across New Zealand, Napier’s age structure is changing. Currently, one in five Napier residents are over 65 years old. In 15 years, this will be one in four. For the first time there will be more people aged over 65 than those under 14. This will present both challenges and opportunities for Napier.
In April 2015, we decided to facilitate the development of a community-wide strategy to support positive ageing. This strategy will involve a range of agencies and organisations that can help make our city accessible and inclusive for our senior residents and visitors.
Did you know?
- 50% of people over 65 years live in the Taradale Ward
- 1 in 5 people in Napier are in the 65 years and over bracket
- Our new seniors are the teenagers of the 1960s
- Older people volunteer more
- 21% of people 65 years and over are in paid employment, this will rise to 31% in 2031
- New Zealand has a Positive Ageing Strategy and an Office for Senior Citizens (www.osc.govt.nz )