Funding for the Tait Fountain was provided by Sir Peter Tait, MP for Napier from 1951-54 and Napier's Mayor from 1956-74.
The centrepiece of a small reserve on the corner of Browning and Hastings streets, the three-tiered circular fountain offers a counterpoint to the soaring Cathedral Church of St John the Evangelist.
Bordered with flowerbeds and with bench seating placed to face the fountain, the reserve is handily placed for downtown workers and shoppers looking for a change of pace from the bustle of Napier's inner city streets.
The monumental cross commemorates V E Day. It was dedicated on 9 May 1995, the 50th anniversary of the end of World War II in Europe, as a tribute to those who served and in memory of those who gave their lives in the conflict.