McLean Park Pump Station
Built in Latham Street in 1931, the pump station backing onto McLean Park was threatened with demolition when the Napier City Council decided to retire a well providing poor quality water.
There were concerns that the pump house might fall short of modern earthquake standards, but after experts gave it the all-clear it was refitted as a hi-tech booster pumping station regulating water between the two Napier Hill reservoirs.
The building was designed by leading Napier architect Louis Hay and is inspired by the strong linear forms of American architect Frank Lloyd Wright's "prairie style".
The paint scheme, featuring the building's original earthy colours of brown and blue, is based on remnants scraped off the walls.
Hay's trademark tile details, in this case applied to the parapet corners, have been polished clean to reveal the original red finish.
In 1999, the Council's restoration of the building attracted the "supreme" accolade in the Art Deco Trust's annual awards.
McLean Park Pump Station Images
McLean Pump Station Location Map
Latham Street, Napier South