Percy Spiller Memorial
The original memorial took the form of a double-sided, seating shelter of re-inforced concrete. The seats faced north and south and when first erected afforded views onto the putting green and the asphalt tennis courts. The tennis courts disappeared in 1967 to make way for the Sunken Garden.
The shelter was demolished in 1999, however the original memorial plaque has been retained.
This stone was laid by S Percy Spiller. As a tribute to the effort of the public of Napier in raising patriotic funds through the Napier Fun Session Committee during the war period 1939-1945 26 December 1947