Swan Memorial Lamp
This whimsically designed cast iron lamp standard lights the flight of steps off Marine Parade between the Sunken Garden and Par 2 Mini Golf.
It is one of nine arc lights that were originally spaced along Marine Parade between the Napier Borough Council offices on the corner of Tennyson Street and the Marine Parade baths.
The light standards commemorated the work of George H Swan, Mayor of Napier from 1885-1901, who did much to promote the development of Marine Parade.
One of nine gas lamp posts converted to carbon arc in 1915 by the Napier Thirty Thousand Club. Refurbished and relocated in 1982 from a site near the War Memorial Hall. The present lantern is a 1950 style 250 watt mercury vapour, which is slightly smaller than the original lantern.
Swan Memorial Lamp Images
Swan Mamorial Lamp Location Map
Marine Parade, at the northern approach to the Sunken Garden.