Tiffen Park Entrance
Napier Borough Council purchased the Tiffen Estate and house in 1907 to provide a site for the Municipal Theatre, which opened in 1912.
The house was the home of Henry Stokes Tiffen, a well-known identity in Napier's early history. It stood on the area now occupied by the upper level car park on the Napier Hill end of Dalton Street.
The steps and flanking pillars are at the foot of a path that leads to the wooded upper slopes of Tiffen Park. Winding paths are a feature of this reserve.
The entrance was built using a bequest of £880 in 1940 by Mary Smith. It was opened in December 1954.
This entrance to Tiffen Park was a bequest to the city by the late Miss Mary Alexander Smith of Napier.
Tiffen Park Entrance Images
Tiffen Park Entrance Location Map
Tiffen Park, Dalton Street, at the foot of Napier Hill.