Restored Derrick in Inner Harbour
Planning Started: March 2010
Construction Started: April 2010
Completed: June 2010
A derrick that once loaded and unloaded cargo in Napier?s Iron Pot has been returned to its original site as a sculptural landmark and a salute to the area?s maritime past.
Many long-time Napier residents will recall seeing the crane when it was used by Hawke?s Bay Monumental Works at the company?s former site on the corner of Station and Munroe streets.
A photo taken of Ahuriri?s Routledge Wharf in the 1870s shows its original vocation, hoisting freight and wool bales between ship and shore.
In a joint project undertaken by the Ahuriri Rotary Club and the Napier City Council, the derrick has been restored to its original glory - the mechanism repaired and its substantial structure sand blasted and painted anew.
Several local businesses also donated time and funds towards the restoration, which was supported by the Ahuriri Business Association.
On May 4, the crane was lifted onto new foundations constructed adjacent to the fuelling jetty and the berth where the Wine Country Cat ties up. Secured by cables, this historic example of industrial architecture it is a poignant reminder of a time when this area was a busy port, serving Hawke?s Bay and the thriving settlement of Napier.
The inner harbour was the region?s main port up until the 1931 earthquake. The upheaval raised the seabed and made the waterway too shallow for general shipping purposes. Services were subsequently relocated to the port of Napier, at the foot of Bluff Hill.
While the mechanism on the restored derrick is in working order, it is kept locked for safety reasons. However, the crane will be put through its paces on special occasions.