Strategically located between two major arterial roads, Nelson Park is predominantly used for cricket in summer, and this is the home of the Hawke's Bay Cricket Association.
- Senior Cricket Wickets (7)
- Artificial Practice Wicket (1)
- Open Field in Practice Area (1)
- Representative Cricket Practice Areas (2)
The park contains seven grassed cricket blocks and these are used for international and inter-provincial practice, for Hawke Cup games and for local senior and other levels of local cricket, and for cricket tournaments. The wickets are of a very high standard and the park is held in high regard at all levels of the game.
The northeastern corner of the sportsground is leased to the Napier Petanque Club. Tennis courts in the eastern corner are leased to Nelson Park Tennis Club.
The Nelson Park Tennis Club, the Hawke's Bay Cricket Association and the City of Napier Pipe Band have pavilions on the park.
The park is also well used as a play and recreation area by Nelson Park School.
Nelson Park Images
Nelson Park Summer Field Layout
Accessed either from Morris Street or Jull Street, Marewa. Standard summer field layout for Nelson Park.
Nelson Park Winter Field Layout
Accessed either from Morris Street or Jull Street, Marewa. Standard winter field layout for Nelson Park.
A syndicate reclaimed the Napier South area from the Ahuriri Lagoon and swamp in 1908. In 1909, the Council purchased 20 acres for a park named in honour of a member of the reclamation syndicate, the well-known Hawke's Bay pioneering settler William Nelson.
After the 1931 earthquake, 500 tents erected on the park provided emergency accommodation for displaced residents. During World II, the park was used by the army.