To vote in a local authority election, you need to be enrolled on either the residential or ratepayer electoral roll.
Copies of the Electoral Roll are available at Napier City Council, Hasting Street and the Public Libraries in Napier and Taradale.
You are eligible to enrol on the residential roll if you:
- are 18 years of age or older, and
- are a New Zealand citizen or permanent resident, and
- have lived in New Zealand continuously, at any time, for one year or more, and
- have lived at your current address for more than one month.
If you are registered on the parliamentary (electoral) roll, you are automatically enrolled on the local authority residential roll at the address where you live. You do not have to be a ratepayer to qualify for enrolment on the residential roll.
To change your address details you can:
- complete the appropriate form at any PostShop
- phone 0800 ENROLNOW (0800 367 656)
- go to the Elections New Zealand website
Ratepayers who are not residents of the Napier City but pay rates on property within the Council's boundaries may be entitled to enrol on the ratepayer roll. Companies, businesses and societies which are ratepayers, may also nominate an elector to vote on their behalf, provided any such elector resides outside the Council's boundaries.