The Information Sheet and Candidate Handbook below are a useful guide for prospective candidates.
Some rules for nominations are:
- At Large Councillor candidates do not need to live within the Napier City Council area, but must be a New Zealand citizen and enrolled as a parliamentary elector.
- Both nominators of an At Large Councillor candidates must be enrolled as parliamentary electors in the Napier City Council area.
- No person can be elected to a local authority if he/she is concerned or interested in contracts over $25,000 with that local authority. This restriction is waived if prior approval from the Office of the Controller and Auditor-General is obtained.
- A candidate may stand for either the regional council or city/district council/community/local board in the regional council's district but not both [section 58 LEA].
- A candidate cannot nominate themselves for office.
- A candidate may under section 56 of the LEA be nominated under a name which the candidate is commonly known provided that the name will not: cause offence to a reasonable person; be unreasonably long; include or resemble an official rank or title; cause confusion or mislead electors [section 56 LEA].
- Where no affiliation is claimed, or an affiliation is disallowed by the Electoral Officer under section 57 of the LEA, nothing will be shown in the public notice or the voting paper against the candidate's name. A candidate with no affiliation may request that 'Independent' be shown.
- Under section 121 of the LEA, any person is liable to a fine of up to $2,000 who: Knowing themselves to be ineligible for election, consents to being nominated for election; or Nominates any person as a candidate whom he/she knows to be ineligible for election; or Not being the candidate signs any nomination paper knowing that they are not qualified to vote at the election.
- A candidate may, in accordance with section 61 of the LEA and clauses 26 to 29 of the LER, provide a candidate profile statement and/or a recent photograph for dispatch to electors with the voting documents. For further information about candidate profile statements please refer to the Candidate Profile section of the Candidate Handbook for this election.
- Each nomination must be accompanied by the required deposit of $200.00 (inclusive of GST) or proof of an electronic deposit.
- Evidence of NZ citizenship may be requested at the time of candidate nomination. Acceptable evidence includes NZ Passport, NZ Birth Certificate, NZ Citizenship documentation.
- Nominations of candidates must be in the hands of the Electoral Officer, Napier City Council, 231 Hastings Street, Private Bag 6010, Napier 4142, not later than: 12 noon on Friday 12 August 2016.