Keeping of Poultry
The definition of poultry includes:
- And all other domestic fowl
Unless in an area zoned Rural, no poultry shall be kept in the City except in a properly constructed poultry house with the following requirements:
- Must be covered in with a rainproof roof.
- Must be provided with a floor of concrete or other approved material with a surrounding nib wall
- .Must be sited at least 2m from the boundary of adjoining premises.
- If a run is provided, it must be enclosed to confine the poultry and be adequately graded and drained
- .Must be constructed in accordance with the Building act 1991 (if more than 1.2m high and a 10 sq m area, a permit will be required).Must not be sited closer than 10 metres from any house.
No more than 12 head of poultry must be kept.
Every poultry house shall be:
- Treated with insecticide every six months
- Maintained in good repair and be clean and dry
- Rat proof
Every poultry run shall be cleaned out weekly.
The keeping of poultry shall not give rise to a nuisance caused by any of the following:
- Soakage or overflow of effluent
Please be considerate to your neighbours and keep your poultry in good order.
If you have any further queries please contact the Environmental Health Officers at the Napier City Council.