skip to main content skip to main menu

Building Consents & Information
~ Whakaritenga hanga whare

clipbboard house

How do I apply for and obtain a Building Consent?

From 1 March 2012 building or design work that relates to either the structure (load bearing walls, foundations etc) or moisture penetration (roof, cladding etc) of homes including small-to-medium sized apartments was classified as ‘Restricted Building Work’. This work can only be carried out by competent, appropriately licensed building practitioners. View more about Restricted Building Work and Licensed Building Practitioner.

To find out more about restricted building work go to

The Council's Building Consents Officers and other Officers involved in the processing of building consent applications need to know in detail the type and the extent of the building work you wish to undertake.

Early consultation with the Council's Building Consents Officers helps reduce misunderstandings at the time of consent application and processing, and helps ensure the application is as complete as possible prior to lodgement. Specific documentation requirements of the building consent authority can be taken into account at the planning stage. Compliance with other requirements (e.g. council bylaws or district planning rules) may be critical to the design of the project, even though not part of the building consent process. Therefore, you should consider these requirements early in your project management and preliminary design work.

click here to make an Application online using the Submit It portal

The application is to be completed by the property owner or their authorised agent, e.g. architect, engineer, draughtsman or builder. Written authorisation from the owner is required if the agent has completed the consent application and is going to act on their behalf.

Project specific producer statements may be accepted from Chartered Professional Engineers as a means of satisfying on reasonable grounds that certain provisions of the Building Code have been met.

Together with the application you are required to provide plans and specifications in pdf format.

The plans should include:

  • A location plan,
  • a site plan,
  • a floor plan of each floor (if there is more than one),
  • an elevation of each exterior wall,
  • a foundation layout,
  • a drainage plan,
  • and sufficient cross-sections to show the full nature and extent of the work including details of junctions and flashings

Click one of the links below to view examples of what is required for the plans, there are different requirements for Residential/Minor Work and Commercial/Industrial.

Reviewing your application

All building consent applications go through a vetting process to ensure completeness prior to acceptance.

It is important to remember that the vetting check is only an initial check to ensure you have all the necessary documentation. A full examination and technical assessment of the information supplied is completed by the Processing Team after the consent has been accepted.

Disclaimers and Copyright
While every endeavour has been taken by the Napier City Council to ensure that the information on this website is accurate and up to date, Napier City Council shall not be liable for any loss suffered through the use, directly or indirectly, of information on this website. Information contained has been assembled in good faith. Some of the information available in this site is from the New Zealand Public domain and supplied by relevant government agencies. Napier City Council cannot accept any liability for its accuracy or content. Portions of the Napier City Council information and material on this site, including data, pages, documents, online graphics and images are protected by copyright, unless specifically notified to the contrary. Externally sourced information or material is copyright to the respective provider.

© Napier City Council - / +64 6 835 7579 / Fax: +64 6 835 7574