Civil Defence TXT Alerts
Napier citizens can receive free Civil Defence text alerts in an emergency, thanks to Napier Civil Defence's Twitter account.
Twitter enables Napier Civil Defence to send out free text messages to any Spark customers who follow them.
The texting service is an additional way of alerting the public that there is a Civil Defence emergency and the Emergency Operations Centre has been activated. Those signed up will receive a text explaining the type of emergency and what action should be taken.
The texting service will be tested at each daylight saving changeover, which also coincides with the city's siren testing.
Follow the instructions below to sign up for your own personal alerts.
Step by Step Instructions
This option is for people who just want to get text messages from Civil Defence and don't want to setup a Twitter account. Once you have followed the steps below you should get a text message back which will have the last message we have sent out.
- Step 1 - Text Follow napier_cd
- Step 2 - Send it to 8987
- Step 3 - reply to the first text you receive with SET DISCOVER OFF
Note: With the above process standard text messaging rates apply. Step 3 is optional, by doing this you will stop twitter sending other types of text messages to your mobile phone.
This option is for people who already have a Twitter account, which means they just need to follow our page.
- Step 1 - Login to your Twitter account and make sure you have your mobile details entered
- Step 2 - Go to http://twitter.com/napier_cd
- Step 3 - Select the follow by mobile link
This option is for people who want to setup their own Twitter account and then follow our Twitter page.
- Step 1 - Go to twitter.com and select the sign up button if you don't already have a twitter account. http://twitter.com
- Step 2 - Enter full name, username, password, email address and untick the options if you don't want them. Then click create my account. Boxes will appear to let you know if your username is available and that your password is acceptable.
- Step 3 - Change the time zone to Auckland or Wellington.
- Step 4 - Select mobile on the menu. Now enter your mobile details, country, mobile number, carrier and select start to verify your mobile phone.
- Step 5 - Now you need to verify your mobile phone by texting GO to 8987. This txt is free. Once the txt is received you should see - Your phone is verified - Just leave the settings on their page as they are.
- Step 6 - In the web browser go to the following address http://twitter.com/napier_cd, once there select the "follow" button.
- Step 7 - Select the follow by mobile link