All funeral parlours must comply with the Health (Burial) Regulations 1946. an Environmental Health Officer (EHO) can help you with this. They can do preliminary inspections at any stage of the development.
Here are the basic requirements:
- Mortuary surfaces are required to be continuously smooth, impervious to water, readily cleanable and lightly coloured.
- Floors must be covered to the walls and permanent fixtures and graded and drained to the sewer.
- Lighting and ventilation must be adequate.
- Mortuary tables must also be graded and drained.
- There must be hot and cold running water and a wash hand basin must be convenient to the area and separate from other sinks.
- Staff toilet facilities should be provided.
- You must organise management of cleaning practices, personal hygiene policies, pest control, building maintenance and safe chemical storage.
Registration is renewable each year from 1st April or if the business changes hands.
When you are ready to open contact the Environmental Health officer for an inspection and apply for a Certificate of Registration. A fee will apply Refer fees and charges page. You may not open until registration has been made and the EHO has approved opening of the premises.