Known to Maori as Ahuriri, Napier's inner harbour has historical significance for the city of Napier.
Maori settled Ahuriri before British explorer Captain James Cook first sighted New Zealand in 1769. Sailing ships and whalers tied up here until the port of Napier became established off Breakwater Road.
The 1931 earthquake lifted parts of the inner harbour by some 1.5 metres. Illustrating that, West Quay and Nelson Quay were able to accommodate some fishing vessels at the turn of the century in areas which are now too shallow to take them.
Marina facilities in the inner harbour are very basic, providing a range of berth sizes for small yachts to large trawlers.
Position: Lat 39° 28.6' S Long 176° 53.6' E